Each Hedera Council member purchases its membership interest in Hedera Hashgraph, LLC for a capital contribution of US$100. Each Hedera Council member’s membership interest is an ownership interest in Hedera Hashgraph, LLC, and together with all of Council members’ interests represent 100 percent of the ownership. These membership interests are not typical equity interests, though, as they do not provide members with the right to receive profits distributions or the right to receive any proceeds upon a sale or dissolution of Hedera Hashgraph, LLC. In addition, Council members do not receive any Hedera coins (hbars) in exchange for their capital contribution. Finally, when a member departs the Council, Hedera will repurchase the departing member’s interests for US$100. Thus, the “at what valuation?” question does not make sense in this context. The intent is for Council members to serve as stewards of the Hedera network, which is why Council membership is term-limited and does not include significant financial investments or profit-related incentives for Council members.
Articles in this section
- Can Hedera pursue Central Bank Digital Currency Initiatives?
- Who serves on Hedera’s Board of Managers?
- How does Hedera address perceived or actual conflicts of interest between Hedera and individual Council members?
- How does the Council divide its governing responsibilities?
- How are Council members selected?
- Who formed the Council? When was it created?
- Did Hedera pay Council members to join the Council?
- What economic rights do members of the Council have?
- What are the responsibilities of Council members?
- Who owns Hedera Hashgraph, LLC? Why was it structured this way?
- What does membership in Hedera represent? E.g. coins, equity?
- Who owns the coins in the treasury?
- Does Hedera consider Simple Agreement for Future Tokens (SAFTs) to be securities?
- Are council members required to build applications on the network?
- Since some of the Council members are large global companies, did they join at the parent level or through a subsidiary?