Each Hedera Council member purchases its membership interest in Hedera Hashgraph, LLC for a capital contribution of US$100. Each Hedera Council member’s membership interest is an ownership interest in Hedera Hashgraph, LLC, and together with all of Council members’ interests represent 100 percent of the ownership. These membership interests are not typical equity interests, though, as they do not provide members with the right to receive profits distributions or the right to receive any proceeds upon a sale or dissolution of Hedera Hashgraph, LLC. In addition, Council members do not receive any Hedera coins (hbars) in exchange for their capital contribution. Finally, when a member departs the Council, Hedera will repurchase the departing member’s interests for US$100. Thus, the “at what valuation?” question does not make sense in this context. The intent is for Council members to serve as stewards of the Hedera network, which is why Council membership is term-limited and does not include significant financial investments or profit-related incentives for Council members.
Articles in this section
- Is there a limit to the number of companies from any one industry that can be on the Council at any given time?
- What Council decisions require unanimous votes rather than 2/3rds?
- What are the requirements from the Council members, i.e. how much of an obligation do they sign on for?
- How frequently will the Council members meet?
- Who owns Hedera Hashgraph, LLC? Who owns the coins in the treasury?
- Since some of the Council members are large global companies, did they join at the parent level or through a subsidiary?
- What are the current Hedera governance rules? Will Hedera release the full legal agreements relating to each Council member?
- What are the responsibilities of Council members?
- What does membership in Hedera represent? E.g. coins, equity?
- Did Council members buy their membership in Hedera? If so, at what valuation?