What you need before getting started
- Ledger Nano S or X with the supplied USB cable.
- Computer (at least Windows 8 (64-bit), macOS 10.8, or Linux) with internet.
- The Ledger Live application downloaded and installed.
Step 1: Installing Ledger Live on your PC, Mac, or Linux
Ledger Live features interactive setup instructions. Simply open the app to get started. Read the Ledger FAQ on setting up the device and ledger live app: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000613793
Updating the Firmware
If you have an older version of firmware on the device, it is required to update the firmware to the latest:
Ledger Nano S firmware update instructions: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002731113
Step 2: Installing Hedera App
- Open the manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger Nano S or X.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device by pressing both of the buttons.
- Find Hedera Hashgraph in the application catalogue.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- Check the installation progress on the window.
- Your device will display "Processing…"
- The app installation is confirmed.
- Check for the Hedera logo on the ledger device display.
Step 3: Create an account ID on the Hedera Mainnet using the public key from your Ledger device
Retrieve the public key from your Ledger device via MyHbarWallet.com (Ledger Live must be closed to retrieve)
To start using the Ledger device with HBAR, you'll need to create an account ID on the Hedera mainnet using the public key found in your Ledger device.
To retrieve the public key from your Ledger device, you'll need to navigate to MyHBARWallet.com, click or tap on "Access My Account", and then click or tap on "Hardware" — follow the instructions on your screen to display your public key, as seen in the screenshot below. Please close Ledger Live before proceeding, if you have not already.
Next, you will need to create a Hedera account ID, which can be done by following one of the multiple options covered in steps 3a or 3b.
3a: Create an account via Wallawallet to then use on MyHBARWallet.com to create an account for use with the Ledger Nano
Follow the steps in Wallawallet's Ledger Nano S quick guide for HBAR with Wallawallet.
3b: Create an account ID via the Hedera Portal (https://portal.hedera.com)
Please note that creating a mainnet account in the Hedera Portal requires submitting to KYC, which may take up to 14 business days.
- Create a profile at https://portal.hedera.com/ using your mobile device (iOS / Android) and go through the step-by-step KYC process. It may take up to 15 business days for your KYC to be approved.
- After KYC has been accepted, you'll need to copy the public key for your Hedera Hashgraph account on the Ledger device. To retrieve the public key from your Ledger device, please see the first set of instructions above.
- At https://portal.hedera.com/ create a Hedera mainnet account by entering your public key into the designated field and click or tap "Submit".
- In a few moments, you'll see an account ID (0.0.XXXXX) has been generated. Copy that account ID, as you'll need it in "Step 4" of this setup tutorial.
Step 4: How to get a receive address, verify it on the device, and submit a transaction using MyHbarWallet.com
Please watch this video as a visual aid for Step 1 and Step 2, found below. Within this video and these instructions, you'll learn how to get a receive address, verify that address on your Ledger device, and submit a transaction using MyHbarWallet.com.
Step 1: Get a receive address & verify it on the device
- Plug your Ledger device into the computer using the USB cable.
- Navigate in a Chrome browser to https://www.myhbarwallet.com/
- On MyHbarWallet.com click "Access My Account", click "Hardware", and then click "Ledger"
- On your Ledger device, it will prompt you to "Export Public Key", press the button associated with the checkmark.
- You can verify your public key on the Ledger device's display, comparing it to the public key displayed on MyHbarWallet.com.
- On MyHbarWallet.com, select the Hedera™ Hasghraph Mainnet underneath "Network" and enter the Account ID (0.0.XXXXX) you just created.
- Click "Continue"
Step 2: Submit a transaction
- From MyHbarWallet.com in the "Amount" field, enter how many hbars you'd like to send.
- In the "To Account" field, enter the Hedera Mainnet Account ID (0.0.XXXXX) you'd like to send the specified number of HBAR.
- (optional) Within the "Memo" field, toggle the "Optional" slider and enter up to 100 characters worth of text as a memo.
- On MyHbarWallet.com click "Send XX Hbars" and verify in the prompt that the hbar amount and the recipient's account ID is correct. If it is, click "Continue"
- On your Ledger device, it will prompt you to "Transfer with Key"; scroll to the right and left using the associated Ledger device buttons to view: "Sender Account ID", "Recipient Account ID", "Amount", "Fee", "Memo", "Confirm", and "Deny".
- To confirm your transaction: Once the "Confirm" text is displayed on the Ledger device, press both buttons simultaneously.
- To deny your transaction: Once the "Deny" text is displayed on the Ledger device, press both buttons simultaneously.
- Once confirmed or denied, MyHbarWallet.com will display a confirmation of the action you've taken.