Hedera’s cryptocurrency—“hbars”—serves two vital purposes:
- To secure the network against cyberattacks though Hedera’s coin-weighted, proof-of-stake consensus mechanism, and
- To be the “fuel” that incentivizes and pays for the computing resources necessary to make it all work.
Hedera's coin release schedule was designed to maintain the security of the network and correlate with expected activity on the network. With a mission of being a 100-year company, we are focused on the long-term well-being and growth of the network.
As such, Hedera's key priorities are:
- Nurturing and supporting application development, including the 26 that went live when the network opened to the public, as well as the countless other dapps that are building on Hedera.
- Making it easier for developers to build on the Hedera mainnet and testnet through community education, engagement, and the creation of additional developer tools.
- Supporting Hedera Council members and other companies in their exploration of enterprise use cases on Hedera.
- Recruiting additional Hedera Council members to enhance the industry’s most decentralized governance model — spread across geographies, industries, and time (term-limited).
- Delivering additional features beyond what was initially promised, such as the Hedera Consensus Service (HCS), which will be available with Version 1.0 of the platform.
We will continue to focus on maintaining security and utility of the network going forward. We do not comment or speculate on the coin price.